While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Municipality of West Nipissing welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WASTEWATER PLANT OPERATOR
Position: Wastewater Plant Operator (Full-time)
- Review plant performance to determine compliance status for all regulatory requirement
- Report all non-compliances forthwith to the proper authorities
- Collect, store and ship samples for regulatory monitoring
- Mitigate and report unsafe condition
- Tour and inspect equipment at local and remote locations
- Collect data related to plant operations
- Perform preventative maintenance, repairs and installations that require pipefitting, millwright, and minor electrical duties
- Troubleshoot plant operations
- Empty, clean and inspect tanks and equipment
- Perform in-house laboratory testing
- Receive, report and respond to customer complaints
- Perform custodial work including snow removal, lawn cutting, office and washroom cleaning, etc.
- Required to be on call for after-hour and weekend services for at least one week at a time, on a rotating basis
- Additional duties as assigned
Duties specific to the Wastewater Treatment Plan and Collection System
- Check sewage pumping stations, trouble shoot problems and perform preventive maintenance
- Provide support when needed in the Collection system
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Competent with applicable regulations that govern the operation of the wastewater treatment and collection systems OIT license for Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection upon hire and eligible for a Class 1 license by the anniversary date of the OIT
- Minimum requirement to have a valid Class “G” Driver’s License
- Communicate well
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Able to exercise sound judgment, tact and diplomacy
Applications for this position will be accepted until 4:00 p.m., Friday, December 14th, 2018. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications should be addressed to :
PUBLIC WORKS - HANDYMAN "A"/OIT
Position: Handyman "A"/OIT (Temporary-Indefinite)
Hours of work: 36 hours, as assigned
- Winter Control Operations (Snow Plowing / removal & sanding)
- General roads and drainage maintenance duties as per industry standards
- Operate departmental vehicles and equipment
- General water distribution/wastewater collection duties as per regulation(s)
- Assist other departments in general labour work, including, but not limited to: Cemetery work (burials, cemetery maintenance, etc.), Community services (assist in dock maintenance, etc.), Environmental services (cover & level landfill sites / assist in clean-up week / pick up trees, etc.)
- Garage work / clean up
- Occasional minor welding, minor electrical & mechanical duties, minor carpentry
- Record daily work in log book
- After hours / weekend work as required
- Ensure safety of self and of others at all times
- Any other duties as assigned within the general scope of the position
- Applicants must have a minimum grade 12 education or equivalent and have good verbal, reading and writing skills
- Applicants must possess at least an Operator in Training (OIT) WD/WWC designation and must successfully challenge the Level 1 exams for both WD/WWC within 12 months
- Applicants must possess and hold in good standing a valid DZ Driver’s license (AZ will be considered an asset)
- Knowledge of trade standards, Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ministry of Transportation guidelines, and municipal policies
- Experience operating various types of construction equipment, such as backhoes, bulldozers, excavators, tandem trucks, graders, etc.
- Have experience operating snowplows and sanding equipment.
- Experience working on WD/WWC systems will be considered an asset
- Must be of a physical condition that allows him/her to perform as a full working member of the construction/maintenance crew
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (C.P.R.), first aid & WHMIS certified
- Basic electrical, mechanical & chemical knowledge and ability
- Ability to operate power tools/air tools, etc.
- Ability to operate & maintain vehicles & equipment
- Ability to work well alone or as part of a team
- Ability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Ability to work long hours during emergency conditions
- Ability to work outdoors and withstand extremes in weather
- Availability to work after hours and on weekends
Applications for this position will be accepted in confidence, until Friday, November 30, 2018, at 11:30 AM.
Applications should be addressed to:
101-225 Holditch Street, Sturgeon Falls, ON P2B 1T1